ACCREDITATION – ASSESSMENT – INSTITUTIONAL IMPROVEMENT – FACULTY DEVELOPMENT
- Are your faculty using advanced pedagogy in the classroom? More so than your peer institutions?
- In what areas are your faculty most satisfied? Is it different for associate professors Adjuncts?
- How do your faculty view institutional priorities?
- How do your faculty experience the campus climate?
- Where are areas for growth and improvement?
Administer anytime between September 1, 2016 through April 15, 2017
Using the HERI Faculty Survey
Your faculty are essential to the main educational mission at your institution. Given their importance, it is vital to monitor aspects of their experience.
The HERI Faculty Survey provides institutions with a comprehensive, research-based picture of key aspects of the faculty experience. Since 1989 over 1,100 two-and four- year institutions have used results from this survey to connect faculty practices, values and priorities to institutional success and drive improvement efforts.
The HERI Faculty Survey is designed to provide institutions with actionable information on important and timely issues. It includes topics such as pedagogical practices, faculty goals and expectations for students, research and service activities, sources of stress and satisfaction, and the connection between learning in the classroom and practices in the local and global community.
Results from the HERI Faculty Survey have been used in strategic planning, faculty recruitment and retention, faculty development activities, assessment and accreditation, and discussions relating pedagogy to student learning experiences.
The HERI Faculty Survey includes:
- A web-based “core” instrument that all institutions administer with optional modules. Modules are brief sets of related items that institutions may elect to use or not use based on their mission, goals, and needs
- Special sections for faculty teaching graduate students and part-time faculty
- A separate version of the survey for two-year institutions
- The opportunity to add up to 5 open-ended and up to 30 closed-ended institutional or consortium questions
- The ability to select peer comparison groups for your institutional reporting
You will receive an institutional profile, which includes institutional results broken out by sex and comparisons with other similar institutions. Separate reports in the institutional profile detail findings for full-time, part-time and graduate faculty separately. Institutions also receive a data file of your faculty responses, a PowerPoint Presentation summarizing results, and a monograph of the national results.
ADMINISTERING THE SURVEY
The HERI Faculty Survey is a web-based survey. It is administered triennially to faculty at two- and four-year colleges. Each institution selects its own sample. The HERI Faculty Survey is meant to be used with all faculty, be they full- or part-time, graduate faculty, or administrators with teaching responsibilities. Each institution has the ability to customize the survey for their administration.
The Survey Instrument
- 2016-2017 HERI Faculty Survey Instrument – All institutions participating in the HERI Faculty Survey administer this “core” set of questions
- Campus Climate Module – This optional module asks respondents about their perception of the campus environment and the various types of practices and policies in place at an institution
- STEM Module – This optional module examines practices and expectations in STEM disciplines, focusing on the use of active learning techniques and faculty values related to STEM majors. If selected, this module will only be seen by faculty at your institution in STEM disciplines. For a list of STEM disciplines, click here
- Mentoring Module – This optional module examines the nature and scope of academic advising at an institution and the extent to which faculty advisors assist students with academic growth
- Spirituality Module – Adapted from the College Students’ Beliefs and Values (CSBV) project, this optional module examines faculty perspectives and practices with respect to religion and spirituality
Because the HERI Faculty Survey is comprehensive, it gathers information on a wide variety of issues relevant to faculty. Below are documents organized by topic that allow you to easily find items to the survey that may be of particular relevance on campus.
- Part-Time Faculty Items
- Graduate Faculty Items
- Items Related to Diversity and Social Change
- Comparing the HERI Faculty Survey and the CIRP student surveys
Important Forms and Documentation
- UCLA IRB Approval Notice – Copy of the current UCLA IRB approval for the HERI Faculty Survey
- Administration Guidelines – Necessary information for schools concerning the administration of the HERI Faculty Survey
- Administration Timeline – This timeline summarizes general activities in a survey cycle
- Survey Information Sheet – Copy of the informed consent given to survey respondents
- Additional Questions – Important information for campuses adding their own questions to the instrument
- School Managed Email Distribution – Instructions for sending your email invitations directly from your institution
- Invitation and Reminder Templates – Sample text for inviting your faculty to participate
- Welcome and Thank You Text – Editable text for your welcome and thank you survey pages
- Anti-Spam Guidelines – Important information about how to prevent survey invitation and reminders from HERI being filtered out as bulk or junk mail
- Group Codes – Comparing specific subgroups of your faculty sample
- Confidentiality and Privacy – Suggestions about how to talk with your faculty about confidentiality and privacy issues
- Encouraging Participation – Suggestions for increasing response rates
- Promo Pack – Instructions on how to use the Promo Pack items
- Pre-Notification Email Template – Editable text for the pre-notification email
- Data and Reporting – Information about institutional data and reporting from HERI
- Purchase Orders – Important information about paying via purchase order
HERI Faculty Survey Fees
Participation Fee: $825.00
Processing Fee: $3.25 per survey processed
Optional Modules: FREE
Customized Welcome and Thank You Pages: FREE
Additional Questions (Up to 30 closed-ended and/or 5 open-ended): $350.00
Group Codes: FREE
School-Managed Email Distribution: FREE
HERI-Managed Email Distribution: $375.00
Online Data Analysis: $150.00
Billing and Withdrawal Policy
Upon registration, institutions are sent one bill for the participation fee. After each institution completes their survey administration and returns the data for processing, the per-survey processing fees are calculated and a second bill is sent to each institution for their respective processing charges. Institutions are also billed separately for any Data Service Orders they may place, and these bills are sent out after the completion and fulfillment of each Data Service Order.
You may cancel without penalty up to the time that the unique survey links have been sent to your institution, or distributed per your institution’s direction. If the survey links have already been sent to your institution or distributed via HERI’s email distribution service to your intended survey participants, you will be charged a withdrawal fee of $100. In addition, if HERI has provided any customized services at your request (e.g., additional questions, etc), you will also be responsible for the full cost of these services.
Administer anytime between September 1, 2016 through April 15, 2017